I'm also grateful that Rosetta Thurman linked to the BlogHer list of writing prompts for NaBloPoMo. While I could blather for thirty days on my own, this list provides boundaries for me within which to write. And, as my professor Greg Lucas likes to point out at every opportunity, boundaries make for a better story.
On to the first topic: Share your professional "aha moment".
My goodness, which one? Would you like me to work backwards or forwards? Do you have a few days and lots of coffee? How about I bullet point some, in no particular order:
- deciding arts administration was the career for me, after running a small theater for three years and wearing all the administrative hats;
- seeing "Falsettos" at the local community theater and having my world turned upside down through live theater and knowing I wanted to share that feeling with others;
- stepping out of corporate retail management and into nonprofit arts administration in order to be a mother;
- writing my women-in-theater manifesto, meeting Sylvia who shared my views on supporting local women in the field, and producing -dash-, which brought the conversation about local quality opportunities for women in theater out into the open;
- applying to graduate school for a degree in arts administration and delightfully discovering a deeper joy in my chosen field.
Can you look back at your path and see the turns? What were your deciding moments?